Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lebron Watch 2010, Pt. 1 - Andrew's Pre-Anouncement Thoughts and Predictions

Let's just go for a numbered list. That's how this whole thing works best for me:

1. It's Miami. I just get the feeling that everybody who has been saying as much for all this time is right. I get the feeling that he, Bosh, and D-Wade have been planning it for awhile. I get the feeling, in fact, that it was barely even a decision.

2.
I remember being a kid baseball fanatic and thinking at some point, "If I was a great major league free agent, I would just get all my other free agent friends together and say, 'Hey guys, let's all take a little less money and go to the same team.'" The logic was simple for me: either way you end up with insane amounts of money, and by all joining the same team you practically guarantee yourself championships. Of course, I had never heard of "collusion" at that point, but I wonder if any high-ups would even care considering how much money a superteam would bring to a professional sport.

And really, that would still be a great idea in baseball. But not in basketball- not when there is a salary cap. The fact is, a Bosh/Wade/LBJ Heat team would be good, but they wouldn't be great. As good as those 3 are, you just could not win a championship with 9 minimum salary guys. Now imagine if one of the Big 3 gets hurt. If Lebron goes to the Heat, I'm still picking the Lakers, especially if they get better role players this off-season (and it looks like they will).

And by the way, has anybody besides Bill Simmons noticed that Chris Bosh is not actually that great?

3.
It's true what everyone is saying: if he doesn't pick the Cavs, Lebron is raising a gigantic middle finger to the city of Cleveland...for an hour. Imagine if after the discovery of his insane sexual deviance, Tiger Woods didn't go to sex rehab or have a big public apology. Imagine that instead of all that, he said, "See ya Elin" and became the star of the next season of "The Bachelor". That's something like what Lebron will be doing to Cleveland.

4. He should pick the Bulls. Adding LBJ would make them the best team top to bottom in basketball, and most likely that would remain the case for years. Further, the conversation would definitely change from "Kobe or MJ?" to "Lebron or MJ?" just because of the Chicago connection. He would not have to take a pay cut to play there. Plus, I could go see him play whenever my wife and I visit my in-laws in the winter.

See, the Bulls definitely make the most sense.

5. More than anything else, I just hate that this one-hour special is even happening. I hate how self-centered is. I hate how obviously it is a money grab. I hate how long I have had to and will continue to have to hear about this. Sorry for being vindictive, but it all makes me hope that it's a bust for him.

6. Wait a minute. I just changed my mind: actually, now that I think about it, I think he'll pick the Clippers.

Nah, just kidding. I was going to start faking a bunch of reasons why that would honestly make the most sense for him, but I've never been good at keeping a straight face. Not even in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment