Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tim Howard and Ryan Miller: The reason the US is ever relevant in World Wide Sports

You see that? That's a picture of Ryan Miller or Tim Howard walking his dog. I can't really tell the difference.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't watch much of the U.S.'s hockey adventures in Vancouver 6 months ago, but I did watch every U.S. game in the World Cup. Now I know what you're thinking, it's probably something along the lines of "but Matthew, the Goalkeepers of each team gave up goals, and not just one or two!", and I'm thinking something along the lines of "Dude, just watch them, they stop almost everything!" Tim Howard got loads of respect from every sport's show/article I watched/read. And Ryan Miller got loads of respect from some shows during the Olympics, but he got plenty as well when the Sabres were in the playoffs this past year. Considering how inept our offenses were in the Olympics and World Cup, it's a wonder we actually won as much as we did in each one. Look no further than the U.S. vs. Algeria game, Tim Howard stopped everything that came his way (and admittedly, the Algerian Goalkeeper did an excellent job as well).

The point of all this is to say, the U.S. needs to get some more offense in their international sports, because we won't have brick-walls like Ryan Miller and Tim Howard forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment